Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cake-Worthy Events: January

Okay, so one of the goals I've set for myself this year is to make at least one major themed cake each month, and in my search for inspiration for January's cake, I googled "special events in January"...
I found some pretty fun things, so I'm going to write a master list each month to choose events from.

National Month of:
-Braille Literacy
-Bath Safety
-Hot Tea
-Blood Donors
-Hobbies
-Soup
-Staying Healthy
-Thank You
-Oatmeal
1. New Years Day
3. Fruitcake Toss Day, JRR Tolkien's Birthday
4. Trivia Day
6. Bean Day, Cuddle Up Day, Sherlock Holmes' Birthday
8. Bubble Bath Day
9. Apricot Day, Static Electricity Day
11. Step in a Puddle and Splash a Friend Day
13. Make Your Dreams Come True Day, Skeptics Day, Rubber Duck's Birthday
14. Dress Up Your Pet Day
15. Hat Day
16. Nothing Day
17. Ditch New Years Resolution Day
18. Thesaurus Day, Winnie the Pooh Day (A.A. Milne's Birthday)
19. Popcorn Day
20. Penguin Awareness Day, Cheese Day
21. Hugging Day, Squirrel Appreciation Day, Hat Day
23. Handwriting Day, Measure Your Feet Day
24. Beer Can Appreciation Day, Compliment Day
25. Opposite Day
26. Spouse's Day
27. Chocolate Cake Day, Punch the Clock Day
28. Fun at Work Day, Kazoo Day, Ernie's Birthday
29. Puzzle Day, Cornchip Day
30. Inane Answering Message Day
31. Backwards Day, Inspire Your Heart With Art Day



UPDATE: The event I chose was "Thank You" Month... I made cupcakes for C's last day at his old daycare. No pictures (sorry) they were Cherry Chip cupcakes with homemade buttercream icing and fondant flowers.
C was so excited about them...the morning I made them, I had to clean up a mess, and when I got back to the kitchen, he had eaten the flowers from 3 cupcakes, so I had to remake them. When the cupcakes were pulled out for snack time, C kept saying "Mommy do! Mommy do!" because he knew I made the cupcakes special for him.

I also made a cake for my sister's birthday, highlighting her spectacular volleyball skills. It wasn't the prettiest (and there were a few little finger marks from where C snuck icing...) but it was yummy. Chocolate cake with chocolate and white buttercream, flames on it, and the words "You're On Fire!" because of how well she did in her volleyball tournament.

Those were my January cakes! Next up: February!!

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment