Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Prayer for the Unborn Child

I found this prayer at Parenting the Tiniest of Miracles, and I just wanted to share this (and my thoughts) today.

Almighty God, our Father,
you who have given us life
and intended us to have it forever,
grant us your blessings.

Enlighten our minds to an awareness
and to a renewed conviction
that all human life is sacred
because it is created
in your image and likeness.
Help us to teach by word
and the example of our lives
that life occupies the first place,
that human life is precious
because it is the gift of God
whose love is infinite.
Give us the strength to defend human life
against every influence
or action that threatens or weakens it,
as well as the strength
to make every life more human
in all its aspects.

Give us the grace...

When the sacredness of life
before birth is attacked,
to stand up and proclaim
that no one ever has the authority
to destroy unborn life.

When a child is described as a burden
or is looked upon only as a means
to satisfy an emotional need,
to stand up
and insist that every child is a unique
and unrepeatable gift of God,
a gift of God
with a right to a loving
and united family...


Almighty Father,
give us courage to proclaim the supreme dignity
of all human life and to demand
that society itself give its protection.
We ask this in your name,
through the redemptive act
of your Son and in the Holy Spirit.

Amen.


In the last few days I've come face to face with the possibility of losing my 10 week old unborn child.

Until I was faced with that fear, I didn't know how much value I held in a baby's life before birth. I knew that I didn't agree with abortion, but in those hours of fear I realized how important a person, even so tiny, was to the world.

Do you remember the saying, "To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world"? In those moments where our future was most uncertain, this baby was my world.

I know this prayer is for people who choose not to give their babies life, or who don't even choose to see them as babies, but because of this prayer, I was reminded to pray for all those babies whose parents would LOVE to give them life, but they can't because their babies are taken too soon.

Thank you to Jessieleigh for the reminder of how precious every little life is.


~A

No comments:

Post a Comment