Monday, August 29, 2011

A Toddler, A Stick, and a Hook

This past weekend was the 'young adult' camping trip for our church. Hubby had to work Saturday, and I didn't want to sleep on the ground when my bed was 10 minutes from the camp site, so while we spent the evenings (and Monkey and I spent Saturday afternoon) at the site, we slept at home.

Adam and Tom getting supper ready Saturday night

I have never experienced a more "gourmet" camping trip. It seemed that all the luxuries of every day life were present (can't forget your morning mocha with frothed milk and espresso...), but at the same time, every meal was cooked over the open flame and the best fishing award went to the least fancy pole.

Roasted potatoes, onions, carrots and garlic. Yummy!


The fishing was probably my most favourite moment, which is saying something, because I really see no point in catch and release, and before Saturday I thought it was quite possibly the most boring sport in the world.



Those thoughts came BEFORE I got to see Monkey experience the thrill of catching his first fish. We (adults) probably had more fun watching Connor play with the worms and touch the fish than we did doing the catching ourselves.

Abbie and Tom trying to tie the hook on the line while Monkey tries to run away with the pole


Tom fishing off the dock with Monkey. Almost as soon as the line was in the water they got their first bite. Tom probably caught about 10 fish with that stick (Monkey was only there for the first two)




Tom and Monkey with the first fish he ever caught! They are about to throw it back.




Monkey showing me his worm. He tried to throw this one in the water, but we put it on his hook.



I might enjoy fishing if it continues to be this fun to watch, but I'm still a bit squeamish about sticking the worms on the line.

I'm so glad to have great friends who make simple weekends like this amazing fun!




~A





No comments:

Post a Comment