Thursday, October 6, 2011

40 Weeks (and STILL no baby)

There are so many different websites or apps that have weekly statistic updates on how big your baby is, or what exactly your baby can do each week, and I've subscribed to a few of them on facebook or by email, and I've read many of them, but the last few weeks I haven't read them at all.

Then this afternoon, I was checking my email, and by accident I clicked "next" or something, and one of these updates opened. What did it say?

"Welcome to the world, little one!"

And the evil angry pregnant monster who seems to be creeping up more and more regularly snarled at the computer,

"My baby isn't here yet!"

And while there is a large part of me (a very UNCOMFORTABLY large part of me) wishing that this baby would just magically appear outside my womb without any pain or hard work, I know that this baby is safe and healthy and will come whenever the time is right, even if my calendar says it's "late".

And I'm reminded that there have been so many blessings throughout this pregnancy, so I should focus on the things I'm grateful for, and stop thinking only about all the things I'm looking forward to being done with.




Here is a list (no particular order) of things I can be grateful for:

-This baby is full term. In the past few months, a few friends have had pregnancies end a lot earlier than expected. Some had healthy babies who were born much earlier than expected, but some had babies who didn't make it. I cannot complain about a healthy baby who is still living, even if it means I might wait longer than the normal 40 weeks to meet this little one.

-This pregnancy I haven't had any complications. With Monkey I was hospitalized for 4 nights with a severe infection that caused my face and eyes to swell so that I lost my ability to see for a few days. This time, the only swelling has been my feet, and even then, it's not anything more than a discomfort.

-This pregnancy I've been able to stay active and eat healthy, leading to a much lower weight gain than my first (I've gained less than half this time what I gained with my first)

-I have had amazing, consistent, supportive medical care all the way through this pregnancy, unlike the disjointed and sporadic medical care I had with Monkey, missing the first 4 months because I was overseas, and then being shipped around to 3 other doctors before he was born.

-I have been able to clean, organize, and even decorate my home for the arrival of this little one, unlike the last pregnancy when I didn't even have a place to call a home until 6 weeks before Monkey arrived.

-I have fantastic and supportive friends and family who are celebrating this little one already, and who already are thankful for the blessing we are soon to welcome to this world.

We are such a blessed family, I can't complain when I have so many things to be thankful for. And I'm thankful especially as this weekend approaches (Canadian Thanksgiving) for the many blessings that we have on top of this new baby.

There is still hope that we can meet the baby soon, but I know that God's timing is perfect, and whenever our little one arrives will be the perfect time.

~A

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet comment girl!
    And yay for you on your lower weight gain this time!
    I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts for a smooth and easy delivery!

    ReplyDelete